Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tennessee here we come......in June!!

Glen matched at the University of Tennessee in Memphis where he will do his five year urology residency. We found out on January 24th and we are very excited. I have to admit that at first I was just shocked; I did not think we were going to go to Memphis. I had researched certain places on our rank list a LOT but not Memphis. It was a surprise and I knew very little about the place but I get more and more excited about it all the time. I feel very blessed that we matched and we are excited for this new adventure. I can't wait to experience all that Memphis has to offer. It will be fun to learn about its rich history and culture. Also, I am so excited about the weather there and I am constantly telling Glen about that part. I have included some pictures of things in Memphis that I am excited about.
I really liked something Glen's Dad told me over the phone a few days ago. He asked me to imagine if we were able to choose where we went to medical school. He said that we probably never would have chosen to go to Toledo. His point was that we have really loved Toledo and have had such a great experience here. I know we are going to Memphis for a reason and I know we will love it!


I have heard that there are a lot of pools, splash parks, and regular parks too.


They have a botanical garden


Hopefully Glen will have time to go with me on a date sometime to see the Grizzlies play.
Children's museum
A great zoo...they even have panda bears
Historic streets and different museums
Bridge over the Mississippi river
Memphis is just a jump away from Arkansas and Mississippi

Graceland....where Elvis lived
Funny that this is my last picture on this post because it's not the thing I am most excited about but it is something to see. We will probably be able to afford to buy a house in Memphis too. It sounds so good right now, being that we are all cooped up in our little apartment in the middle of freezing winter here in Toledo.

9 comments:

Tayna said...

Oh man! We are so happy for your family!!! It looks like a fun city from the pictures. I'm sure you will love it there! I hope we can come and visit!

Alicia said...

Congrats! But I thought match day was a nationwide thing that didn't happen until March? Lucky you guys got to hear early!

dockters said...

Jill, Memphis looks and sounds great!! Those pictures of kids playing outside at the splash park make me want warmer weather SOOOO bad!!! Can we come down and visit sometime??

CONGRATS!

dockters said...

ps...we got some cute letters in the mail yesterday from Taylor and Matthew...made Sam's day! Thank you!

Ashley said...

It will be so great, looks like lots to do and I am sure you will fit right in. Nolan and I were talking about it, and he was like I think Jill will love all the southern ladies. He's jealous you are only 4 hours away from his mission!!!

The Hollands said...

you guys made it! that is so great that glen matched! tennessee will be so awesome. and i can say from experience that great weather is totally awesome. it makes a lot of stuff much more bearable. we have some friends from our ward in houston who matched there last year for ortho. maybe you will meet them. good luck!!!

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

SO exciting! I bet it's so nice to finally know where you're going for the next while.

I think it will be a fun new adventure for you and you'll love to being able to be outside all year.

Congrats!

Jenny Lee said...

Memphis looks awesome! I google earthed it too. It sure sound like a great place. I bet you'll love it! You might even pick up a southern accent. It looks like there's plenty to do and see there. I'm so happy for you guys.

Delaps said...

It looks like a fun place. I love the south and Tennesse boarders North Carolina so you can't go wrong. Oh and our honeymoon was in Tennesse so we love that state!

Congrats on matching!